Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Being Married

It's been 10 months, going on 11, yet it still feels new. I find out new things about him everyday, and in the process, I'm also getting to know myself a little better. It's weird how I kept saying that I didn't need anyone to define who I am, but being married to someone who is able to complement me, it seems that I've only just started discovering who I am.

Little by little, I've learned things and changed my priorities. Some things that I never thought I would be, I now am, and things that I thought would happen to me somehow never came up. At least, not yet, anyway. I take the bad in with the good. Our lives are not perfect. We have arguments, and I have my moments of idiocy, but I find that having someone understand me, or at least try so hard to do so is something that's so refreshing and wonderful.

Sometimes, insecurities come out, and things that used to be alright while we were dating is suddenly not alright anymore. Alhamdulillah, though, we've both been able to adapt to the changes so far without much of a struggle.

People say that the first year of marriage is one of the toughest. It's been a breeze, so far, but it might be because we're lucky. You see, both of us are still studying and we rely on support from our parents. At the end of this year, we will be graduating, closing one chapter in our lives and opening a new one, which I predict will be full of challenges, for the both of us. I suppose we'll see then, if this really is as easy as it seems to be, when our responsibilities to other things besides each other come crashing down.

Then we'll know how strong we really are.

No comments: