Monday, July 20, 2009

I Wanna Grow Old With You

Warning: Before you read on, let me warn you that this will be a VERY lovey dovey type of post. If you cannot stomach public displays of affection, I suggest you skip this one. :)

Anyway, moving on...

The first time I watched "The Wedding Singer", I heard that song he sang for her on the plane. Even though it was a little silly, it still sounded so sincere and sweet.

Although I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching chick flicks, I do know that fairytale romances only happen, well, in fairytales. The reality of it is that while you do fall in love and meet the person you're destined to be with for the rest of your life, things don't really work out like those happy endings do.

Happy endings are overrated, of course. You think Cinderella lived happily ever after? Not likely. I'm sure she and Prince Charming got into tiffs every now and then. I'm sure Snow White and her Prince each had pet peeves which annoyed them about each other.

For some couples, those pet peeves will probably annoy them for the rest of their lives. But it's how you deal with it that counts.

I get annoyed with my husband's flatulence. Or his tendency to burp out loud. Or his penchant for making parodies out of any song he chooses, even if it ruins a favourite song of mine. Or the fact that he leaves his jeans right where he takes it off after we get home from somewhere.

I'm pretty sure he gets annoyed with the fact that after I come out of the bathroom, I never shut the door. Or that I refuse to be the one to shut off the bedroom lights at night, even though he's already snug in bed. Or that my sinus problems means that every morning, he will wake up with a wad of tissues under his body.

But then that's me. And that's him. It's who we are, and though we have tiffs about it now and then, we both know that these aspects of us are things that we cannot change about each other.

So whenever he suddenly burps extra loud or butchers my favourite song to bits, I think about the things he does which I love him for. How, every morning, without fail, he would wake up, turn to me and I would automatically fit myself into his oh-so comfy arms and we would snooze until the last moment to wake up. How he wakes up first just so that I can get a few minutes of extra sleep. How, when I doubt myself and start questioning my worth as a wife, he kisses me and tells me that I'm the perfect one for him. How he looks at me with those light brown eyes which make me jealous and smile at me in that special way I know he reserves only for me. How he tries to solve things for me everytime, even though he knows that I will eventually be able to do it without his help.

You may wonder what came about this post. I was reading through Post Secret and I came across this:



It's really one of the sweetest posts I've ever seen on the website. One thing's for sure, I want to be like this couple. Well, I don't really want to piss all over the toilet seat, but I do want to grow old with my husband. God willing, I will.

“ … in the end, its these small things that you remember … little imperfections that make them perfect for you.” -Yasmin Ahmad's Eulogy

1 comment:

Black Mouse said...

awww~~
this post makes me jealous..
i pun nk "comfy arms"...
*sulks*

heheee..insya-Allah u'll grow old wif him..n not to forget, his juniors!! ;)