Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Close-Mindedness

On my way home from a trip with my mom and sisters, my hubby got a call from a friend. He was driving so I picked up. This was how the conversation went:

Friend: Hi, Zurin, (name) here. Is Sai free?

Me: Hey (name), sorry, he's kinda driving atm. Wanna leave a message or something? He can call you back later, if you want.

Friend: Wait, you did the same course in college as him right?

Me: Yeah, what's up?

Friend: Well, a friend of mine is interested in teaching english and she's hoping to get a certification for it. Can you tell me more about your course?

Me: Well, what do you want to know?

Friend: How long it is, what kind of requirements needed, that kinda stuff.

Me: Ok, ermm... If she wants to take TESL that's 4+1 years of studying at a local uni. I'm not sure about private instituti..

Friend: (interrupts) FOUR YEARS?!?!

Me: Ermm.. yeah, it's a normal degree programme so..

Friend: FOUR YEARS JUST FOR A CERT?!?

Me: Like I said, it's a degree, not so much a cer...

Friend: Isn't there like something else she can take which lets her study for a few months and then get the same qualification anyway?

Me: Well, there might be but you're asking about the degree programme, which takes four years, just like any other degree

Friend: YEAH BUT JUST FOR A CERT LIKE THAT ONLY HAVE TO STUDY FOR FOUR YEARS AH?


Needless to say, I seriously felt like punching her in the face many times. So, Since, according to a pot former friend of hubby's, I am a black kettle
passive-agressive bitch, I decided to write about it in my blog a few months later rather than getting my knuckles dirty with her blood and spit.

Well, 'lil miss I've-got-a-degree-in-pharmacy, just because the stuff we learnt in Uni doesn't qualify us into hospitals and clinics does NOT mean that our degree isn't a proper one. It's as much of 'just a cert like that only' as that piece of paper you so proudly display up on your wall.

Don't be so close minded. It makes you look like a total idiot. And it's friggin offensive because I'd like to see YOU do well in that 'ridiculous' four-year course with flying colours since you're so smart.

So many people think that when you take TESL, you learn English all day long. Simple kan? SO easy. Well, I'd hate to be a buzzkill but that's not all that TESL's about. Dealing with meds and chemicals may not be a piece of cake but at least those meds don't throw tanthrums and those chemicals won't make you feel like an idiot when you can't make them understand you.

And do you know why you're stuck in that dinky little room dealing with prescriptions and chemicals all day while WE get trusted with other people's children ALL FRIGGIN DAY LONG?

It's because you're close minded.

No comments: