Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult



My Sister's Keeper, in my opinion, was definitely written from the heart. From the first moment I picked it up, three days ago, I couldn't seem to put it down. To me, the book was not written to impress scholars and geniuses. It wasn't filled with big words or clever little cliches, and yet, it was beautiful. I didn't have to use contextual clues, or pick up my dictionary to understand what she was trying to say, and yet, somehow, the way the single words fell into sentences and the sentences, into paragraphs made the story so enticing and so easy to read.

Normally, books which are not chronological, or skip from the point of view of one character to another would make bore and and confuse me, and I usually end up giving up on understanding or trying to get through it altogether. Yet, My Sister's Keeper has both of those, and managed to keep me hooked until the very end.

I loved it. The ending, ironic and heartbreaking at the same time, took me by surprise and made me cry. The only thing I could think about as I was reading it were my two beautiful little sisters and how it would kill me if anything like that happened to any of them.

It's safe to say that from now on, I'll probably be picking up more books by the author for my little collection. I'm gonna end this post with one of the most beautiful lines in the book:

"I have only known her for two years. but if you took every memory, every moment if you stretched them end to end - they'd reach forever." -Sara, about Kate


p/s: I know the book was made into a movie, but I'm not sure I want to watch it, because I found out that they cut out one of the major characters from the book and changed the ending. We'll see.

No comments: