Monday, May 10, 2010

Teka-Teki, Teka Tekuk

"Asm" tu apa?


SMS language is usually defined by the shortening of certain words to fit into the limited amount set by the phone/service provider. For example, some phones have a 160 word limit per SMS, and if one uses more than that, they'd have to pay for another sms. Geddit?

So I completely understand the need to shorten words.

What I don't understand is why people carry that language out into e-mails, blogs, chats and what have you.

Ok, ok, I admit, I'm guilty of that sometimes. I use 'cuz instead of because (probably cuz I say 'cuz' in real life too) and sometimes, i use 'u' instead of 'you'.

That said, I've noticed several short forms of "Assalamualaikum".

Among those that I absolutely cannot stand are "A'kum" and "Askum". They bug the hell out of me, and not to mention that they'd confuse anyone who wasn't in with text language and pronounce it the way it is spelt.

One that I find acceptable to use is "Salam", and, upon asking my mom-in-law, she confirmed that this was an appropriate shortening of the word, because even the Quran writes it as so.

This week, I found out yet another VERY inappropriate short form of the word.

My friend recently asked me if I knew what "asm" stood for, as a short form. I racked and racked my brain, and, for the life of me, couldn't think of what it could possibly be. She told me it apparently stood for 'Assalamualaikum', and a friend of hers had initiated a chat using that phrase or abbreviation or whatever u wanna call it.

Oh, makin lama makin pemalasnya kita ni kan?

1 comment:

Black Mouse said...

ha-ha-ha!! mengapakah manusia makin malas?..sh<<--this is the short form for sigh! LOL!