Monday, June 1, 2009

Facebook Friends = Real Life Friends? I Think Not

We've all had this issue before. In fact, Black Mouse blogged about it in her latest post, and it certainly got me thinking. I've been pretty lax about approving friends of facebook. Too lax, in fact. I looked through my friends list and I realised that I have nothing in common with some of the people I have on my list of 'friends'.

Some people think that their only responsibility in keeping in touch with others is by adding them on facebook, full stop. Yet, when they run into each other, they act like they don't know each other AT ALL. What irks me is the fact that when I went to a friend's wedding, some of these facebook friends of mine actually had the gall to turn their noses up at me when I spoke to them, a la "who the heck do you think you are talking to me?". Sad and completely annoying, especially since we were at a mutual location (i.e: not a run into kind of situation, but something that both parties were invited to). The worse part is, of course, the fact that I went to school with some of these people, and we were friends. Sekarang macam "Aku tak kenal ko lah. Tapi aku nak add dalam facebook. But don't expect me to tegur you when we bump into each other, sebab, biatch, i am WAAAYYY out of your league" camtu.

Some justify their trigger-happy friends-adding antics by calling it 'networking'. That's pretty much bullshit because the last time I asked for help from my so-called 'network' on facebook, I got a total of 4 responses. I am really grateful to those who actually bothered, but I am VERY sure I tagged a LOT of people on that particular desperate note. So, nope, networking my ass.

So I decided it was time for a de-cluttering. I spring-cleaned my friends list, and if you're not on it, obviously I don't find you important enough to keep in touch/ 'network' with. Admittedly, I still have some ways to go before TOTALLY clearing up my list for those who really matter, but I'm getting there.

No, like a lot of people say, I am not sombong. I am not stuck up. Bukan. The only reason this is happening is because I do not see the point of having a thousand and one people on my list and only really keep in touch with maybe 50. So if the only reason I am being added onto yours is so that you can keep me tucked away in a little corner in a dust-gathering competition with a hundred of other people, I suggest you do the same and un-include me. :)

No comments: