Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I love my country...

...but it scares me sometimes...

Specifically, the people scare me. The politics, the racism (it's there, people just don't want to acknowledge it), the HATE... Yes, I'm perfectly aware that other countries aren't much better, thank you, but I find all the goings-on of late really disturbing, considering I've been living in this country and watching life go by through rose-tinted glasses. I realise now that things aren't always as they seem.

I came across an entry, while blog-hopping, about a boy who blogged (on friendster, no less) about how much he hated Malaysia and how much the US was much better than this country. He talked about racism and how people are so sexist. Sadly (or otherwise), I missed the opportunity to really see everything he wrote about since his blog got removed due to the sensitive content. His friendster profile was ladden with hate comments from people no better than him. Curiosity got the best of me and I googled his name to see if I could actually read some stuff he wrote, and I found some blogs which quoted him. I won't bother writing them down here since they're probably old news anyway, but I find it sad that I can actually see validity in some of his points.

No, before anyone accuses me of it, I am not overly westernized nor have i forgotten my roots. This boy ( I call him a boy because despite his points, he can't seem to get past all the emotions of his probably sad childhood and write maturely about them. What a shame.) as I said, has some good points, in SOME of his posts, particularly the ones I got to read. He does need to take an English language course, but i digress. I do believe that whatever views he has/had they are/were personal to HIM. Other people took his views too personally and found the need to insult the heck out of him, thus, proving themselves to be even worse than this boy they despised so much.

Let him be, for goodness's sake. Let him say whatever he wants. If you really love your country as much as you say you do, then prove it by improving yourselves instead of condemning others who probably have their reasons for saying things the way this guy did. Why stoop to such levels beneath you? You harass him on his profile and send him death threats - so this is considered a Malaysian thing to do? It's considered Islamic and proper and rightful? You go so far as to accuse him of not even being Muslim, so declaring someone else apostate is a very Muslim thing to do, have I got it right?

Blogs are a way for us to vent our feelings, let out some of that pent up emotions that we hold inside. People complain all the time about not being given the freedom of speech in their own blogs, but then when these very same people come across some content of some other person's blog that doesn't suit their fancy, they forget their complaints and be the very people they whined about in the first place. Please, look in the mirror and grow up.

No comments: