Monday, February 18, 2013

Only Child Syndrom and Number Two

We went to the park yesterday, something I'm planning to do regularly at least once a week. Hana loves being outdoors and I'd like her to get more fresh air.

Anyway, we bumped into someone we know, a family friend who already has grandchildren.

Now before i continue, I'm stating here that this post is in no way a personal attack to this person. I am merely stating my thoughts and feelings as a consequence of the encounter.

So when we bumped into her, with her daughter and her own two kids, we began to trade stories of bringing up baby (or babies, in her daughter's case). She discovered that Hana mispronounces certain words, like saying 'ukma' instead of tok ma and 'shikert' instead of biscuit. She then asked us if we baby talk to Hana, followed by the statement 'Don't do that. Don't baby talk to her' before we could even answer. We don't, by the way. But she was adamant that we did. And then her daughter actually intercepted and told us that her elder son mispronounces too.

The second thing that happened was that she asked my husband when we were goong to have our second baby. Now at this point, I decided to turn away and stop listening, since the question wasn't a favourite of mine. I heard, vaguely, the words 'single child syndrom' being tossed around and I deduced that they were saying Hana will eventually get said syndrom and not be able to share with a potential brother or sister if we wait for too long.

Firstly, every baby is different. I cannot stress this point enough because I am definitely a staunch believer of that. I would never compare my child to any other out there. Maybe Hana isn't promouncing things properly quickly enough for her standards but she is doing just fine by mine. She's only a year and a half. Her abilities are still limited and that includes the ability to which her tongue and mouth can make certain sounds.

She's doing great to me, being able to distinguish between objects and actually understanding things after only hearing it mentioned once. And as if to prove this person wrong, that very day, Hana progressed from saying good morning as 'ukmanyi' to 'goodmanyi' and biscuit from 'shikert' to bikert', and I am even more convinced that this person had been talking out of an experience long forgotten and solely by proximity to someone else's baby rearing.

As for having another child so soon, I am very happy where we are right now. I really feel like I need more time to focus on Hana before subjecting her to share my attention with another person. That may or may not lead to her getting the 'single child syndrom', I don't know, but I don't feel that 'to make sure my first baby doesn't get too spoiled' is a good enough reason for me to have another baby. It's unfair to her,myself and the younger sibling, should i decide on that course of action. I am, simply put, just not ready to go through another pregnancy (no matter how happy i was during the last one), the birthing process, or to let go of the excluxsive relationship i have with my daughter right now. If and when my husband and i decide that we're financially, emotionally and physically ready to have another child, and it turns out that Hana DOES have the only child syndrom, then InsyaAllah, we will cross that bridge when we get to it and handle it as a family.







No comments: