Monday, May 25, 2009

Getting Older

On Saturday, my high-school friend Baya and I decided to pay a visit to new mommy Shaline. Due to certain 'pantang' and whatnot, I couldn't take pictures of her and her one month old baby boy, but let me assure you, he is absolutely gorgeous.

The baby was born after only 6 months of pregnancy, making him 3 whole months premature. Needless to say, a lot of his organs hadn't fully developed yet and Shaline had a lot of difficulties during the first month. I'm not going to mention the incidents here, but what happened would make any mother cry if it happened to her own helpless, innocent little child.

The worst thing is that some "aunties" who claim to have had more experiences and think they are wiser than anyone else ask rude, intruding questions like "Hmm.. Are you SURE he's premature?". Bodoh la. Tak ke patah hati mak orang ko cakap anak dia camtu? What are you implying? That she got married out of wedlock? Tak nampak baby tu kecik gila, rambut and kening belum ada lagi, siap masuk incubator semua? What is wrong with people nowadays? Kalau tak buruk sangka tu memang tak sah kan?

Anyway, listening to her story, I felt sad and slightly wistful. Obviously looking at her baby got my maternal instincts all ticking like a timebomb, but I remember how we were in school, skipping class, (yep, I skipped class with the class monitor) having loads of fun with her. I look at her now, all matured and I can hardly believe I'm looking at the same childish-sounding girl I was good friends with in school. Time really does fly, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

hey u went to see shaline? how is she? i hope she's doing fine. sanju must be gorgeous.

p/s i didnt know u skipped class! u should've ajak me and afni too ehehe

Zurin said...

Yeah, she's good.. Dah pro at being a mommy now. Hehe..

babe, u and afni dah laaammmaaa skip dulu kay? nak ajak pun tak dapat.. ;p

Sarah said...

hahaha oh ye ke? opss sorry tertinggal korg kt class :p