Monday, May 25, 2009

Contrasts

A few months ago, I had a job where I hated the work but adored the people. They were friendly, really really nice and they were THERE for you, especially if you're the newbie. I always had help, and even the superiors (minus one) were nice and didn't really cause any heartache. The job sucked though, and I went to work day after day, dreading what else the news was going to bring. Political catastrophes, financial mayhem, social pollution, you name it, I saw it, covered it and felt like killing someone.

Here, it's the total opposite. I love my job. I get to write a lot, do a lot of new things and my learning curve is sky-high. And yet there's something missing. Being in a company where 80% are men means I only have one other female colleague. We have nothing in common. Not to say she isn't nice. She's a sweetheart, in fact. We just have nothing in common. Oh, and men can be total bitches too. Especially certain men in high positions who think they're better than anyone else.

I seriously wonder which is better now. Career advancement (that might not even happen because of the bitchiness), or having great friends (I say friends, no colleagues for a reason) to come to work with.

I realise that office politics happen anywhere. Everywhere I go I WILL meet pathetic bitches who need to measure their worth by putting other people down. I just wish I had the courage to stand up for myself when untruths are being said about me and what I do.

No comments: