Monday, February 16, 2009

Night Shift

The time is 3.08am. I am at my office, struggling to stay awake. I look like a zombie. I know this because the moment I stepped into my cubicle, a colleague did a double take and asked me if I had gotten any sleep at all yesterday after work. I also know this because I went to the bathroom to wash my face and also did a double take because my eyes are bloodshot and my skin has turned slightly grey, and looks really coarse and uneven. Like a zombie's.

My 'bodyguards' just left to go get something to eat a few minutes ago and told me to get some sleep, but being silly stubborn me, I don't really feel like it. I mean, I feel like it, but I really don't. How's that?

After a whole year of having a partner everytime I go to sleep, it feels weird to doze off any old where without that partner by my side. If I'm being nauseating, it's because I'm totally nauseated. That's what apparently happens to me when I get 3hours of sleep over the span of two days. I retch a lot even though my gut is empty.

Also, I credit my emotional instability at this moment to the lack of sleep. After my colleagues left, I started crying because I am a total crybaby zombie.

Oh yeah, I not only look like a zombie, I also feel like one right now. At least, this is what I think a zombie feels like, only without the tears. I mean, put a zombie in front of a computer and ask him/her to monitor the news and his/her face will probably look just like mine, except if the features are different.

If I am being incoherent, I'm guessing it's because that's how zombies act like.

So I now look, feel and act like a zombie.

Welcome to the night shift, Zurin.

1 comment:

Jehan said...

oh duck. tak bestnya shift malam. scarynya. maghrib byk h_nt_. ;)