Wednesday, August 13, 2008

National Schmational

I went to the National Library on Saturday. Now, before some people (I think you know who you are) are compelled, by this admission, to look at me and shout "Geek!" to my face, let me explain that this was the very first time I ever stepped foot into that building and the reason I did so was because it was closer to my house in KL than coming back all the way to Shah Alam in order to research my Ae.


My first impression was alright. It had a semi-confusing parking lot which winds all the way to the back of the building. Parking was full. This is good, because that meant that the library is not just a towering white elephant that gathers KL dust.

Since it was my first time, I had to register at the front desk, which sort of impressed me in a way, since the service was fast and efficient. My registration got through in no time and when the clerk announced that they didn't give out library cars and that our ic numbers were keyed into the system and that was all we needed, I was even more impressed. Wow, an actual use for the chip in our MyKAd.

And then I stepped into the chaos.

No proper signs were erected to help us poor first-timers know where we were supposed to go. There were counters where you could ask but some of us (read: me) are just to shy for that kind of stuff. This meant that I was walking around, up and down 3 flights of stairs wondering what kind of library had only journals and magazines and no books. That was until I spotted signs that there was another wing in the building and figured out that it was probably where all the books were.The labelling (Dewey Decimal System person thingy) was NOT used properly. I was looking for a book with the serial number 615.85blablabla and I found 3, THREE, separate, racks, far FAR away from each other. One had the word R in front, so that was my bad that I got lost there since my serial number did not have any alphabets in front. The others, though, did not. Again, I walked round and round searching for the right racks.
Not everything was bad la... I mean, while the people who wanted to photostat a lot of materials had to buy a card and do it themselves, those who had 20 pages and below could make their way to the express lanes where the professional and competent workers are ever at your service to do the dirty work for you.

And not to say the service was bad. It was quite good actually and although I didn't actually go to the counters to ask, I noticed that those who did were met with ready smiles and great service.

So honestly, barring the chasing of the wild geese, I'd say that my experience really wasn't that bad... Then again, I still think it's crucial that they have proper, clear signs so that people coming in wouldn't HAVE to go to their service counters if all they want is a lousy book! I mean, seriously,that is kinda what the OPAC is for...



No comments: