Thursday, August 14, 2008

Give it some thought...


Call to Open Uni to Non-Bumis slammed


Why, is that fear I see lurking behind those self-righteous cries?

'Malays are underrepresented in Higher Learning Institutions'

True, true, true, I admit.

But why, though? Have they ever thought of that?

Why, oh why is it that 37 years after the NEP was set up, the Malays still need special privileges in order to get ahead?

Is it because we've gotten a tad too comfy with all these goodies the govt throws at us?

I mean, really.

'Ma, I can't get that scholarship you wanted me to get because my grades are just so-so. Oh, and the more prestigious unis won't accept me either. Darn those non-MALAYS (mind you. those protests were geared more to protect MALAY rights than BUMIPUTERA rights. There is a difference, you know). They're just so smart and hardworking andnow I can't get my rightful place in those unis. Pray tell, ma, what can I do?'

'Oh, don't worry hon. There's always UiTM. Only MALAYS, oops, Bumiputeras are allowed into UiTM, y'know. And even if they don't really want to accept you, don't worry about it. Makngah's neighbour's cousin is really good friends with one of the higher-up admin people. We'll use that cable to get you in(this does not apply only to UiTM, but to most unis everywhere.'

'Yay! Now I can just laze through my courses, not study, not show up for class, hand in my assignments late and go party all night long and all day long!'

A little harsh? Maybe
But can you tell me it isn't true?

I know many people who really appreciate their chance to be in the university, me being one of them. I work hard to get to where I am right now and I resent looking at all those people who think that they're too cool for school, show up for 5 out of 20 classes and still pass the subject because people are too weak to uphold the rules.

I think that these people who don't really care that they've taken the place of others who would really do well and appreciate the opportunity of actually getting an education should be booted out.

Scratch that. I don't think they should be booted out, I think they shouldn't even have been accepted in the first place. What a waste of space.

So why not? Why not give 10% to non-bumis? some of them may need it and want it WAY more than some of us do.

And maybe, just maybe, instead of sleeping through the whole course of their studies, more students will be more vigilant and aware that should they fail to perform up to certain standards, well, their precious spot might just be yanked away from under their feet and given to someone else more deserving.

Maybe, just maybe, the bumis will learn to sit up and THINK and actually DO. Maybe they'll wake up and start fending for themselves instead of relying on subsidies and special privileges.

No comments: