Saturday, September 3, 2011

My Experience at Pantai Medical Center, KL

Disclaimer: This is my own personal experience and thoughts and may not represent the general consensus. Also, it's recently come to my attention that this post has been linked from another blog. Those of you who got here through that blog, HI! I've edited the post a little so that it wouldn't seem to crass (I wasn't in a very good frame of mind when I wrote it)

Also, I've since changed my perception of the hospital when I had my second baby. You can read my latest review HERE It's a long post since I included it with my experience having my baby, but you can skip that and scroll down to the bottom where the review is. Happy reading!


I'm gonna go according to the issues I had.

1. Admission and Labour Suite
I was impressed, since my admission was prompt. They immediately gave me a room and it didn't take long for my husband to register me downstairs. The labour suite was also quite impressive, big and spacious, and the best part was that they allowed husbands and moms in.

2. Professionalisme (Nurses)
A nurse came in while my husband was downstairs, in order to take my particulars. Maybe it was the lack of sleep for having to take the graveyard shift but I found her to be unprofessional. She asked me for my height and I only had it in feet and inches while she wanted it in cm. When I told her 5 feet 4 inches, she looked at me like I was stupid and was like 'Huh?! CM!". I glared at her and said "KIRALAH SENDIRI!"
She also tried to make an issue over the fact that I didn't know the rhesus of my blood type. It was only when the senior nurse who was also in the room glared at her that she decided it wasn't an issue and said "ok, tak apa".

I also had issues with another nurse (I blame the hormones and her quite horrendously loud voice). She wasn't very sensitive to my needs either, I felt. Having her around stressed me out even more in the delivery room and I felt that it wasn't a healthy thing for me to go through.

Later on, after the delivery, I found that most of the nurses in the maternity ward were not very helpful or sensitive to the fact that we were first time parents. No one bothered to teach us anything, including how to make sure the latching is proper during breastfeeding (which lead to some complications for me later on). We basically left the hospital totally clueless as how to do anything.

Although to be fair, at one point, two student nurses came in to clean my stitches and taught me how to do it myself at home. They were friendly, professional, informative and very courteous.

3. Professionalism (Doctors)

I had been going to this OBGYN since the beginning of my pregnancy and he was usually ok. I was shocked when, during the delivery, he kept shouting "berak! berak macam 10 hari tak berak!" Professionalism? ZERO.

The funny thing is that I've read ALL good reviews about this Dr. Tak pernah ada bad review. e.

Now for the PEDIATRICIAN - I wasn't impressed. Batang hidung pun tak nampak throughout my 3 day stay at PMC. Whenever my Hana had to go for any tests, we had to ask for results from the nurses later. And after that, when I took her over to his clinic for her jaundice checkup, he left me standing, holding my baby. VERY cold, langsung tak macam other paeds. I'm definitely not taking Hana to him for her booster shots.

4. Food

Not bad I suppose. Boleh lah, hospital food kan. They've got pretty good choices. No complaints there.

5. General Service

Pretty good, most of the general workers (the people who send the food, cleaners, etc) were nice and polite.

6. Discharge

Again, no one bothered to tell us anything. A nurse came in with a bag filled with baby stuff, complimentary from the hospital. However, she failed to mention that there were meds and we only discovered those on the second day after we came back, after I had suffered one day of being in pain without painkillers or antibiotics.

7. Overall


For the amount we paid (4k+) I was not very impressed.

p/s: for a so-called "baby-friendly" hospital, only block C has changing stations or nursing stations. When I brought my baby over for her jaundice checkup at Block A, I couldn't find a place to nurse her or change her diapers. FYI, Block A is located quite a distance away from the other blocks. And since I came for the checkup only 5 days after I gave birth, I was in no position to rush over to another block to nurse my baby when she started crying so I had to sit in a corner so other people wouldn't see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To add in, I have another bad experience at Pantai Hospital too. Met with Dr. Kim K. Tan, Plastic Surgeon...the doctor is very rude and arrogant. Macam dia pandai sangat lettew. Cakap elok-elok tak leh? Agreed with your statement, the bad outweighs the good!

Anonymous said...

Wow you complained and whining (almost on everything) soooo much here. I totally had a different /opposite experience in pmc kl.The nurses and doctor were tiptop, they came and taught me how to breastfeed, my paed came to see me everyday(for 4 days) after checking on my baby and before going back, they gave me painkillers, gifts, and more advice on breastfeeding and how to clean my stitches

Zurin said...

To Anon 1: I've had a second experience there and it was actually very, VERY good. I don't know if it depends on the team or the doctor, or if they just got so much better over the years.

To Anon 2: Wow, you're quite funny. My "whining" are real things that I experienced 5 years ago. Lucky you for getting tiptop experience. ALSO, if you'd bothered to read properly, The things I had to complain on were nurses, doctors and the paed. People. AKA, it depends on who you get and your luck. SO I hope one day if you get bad experience from a service provider JUST because they happened to have a bad day, you don't whine about it. :) Also, if you'd bothered to read properly, I already put up a disclaimer in the beginning. Perhaps you should fix your attention span before whining about my whining. Ironic, innit?