Sunday, November 29, 2009

There's a difference

1. When to use "That's mean"

Situation: You're walking innocently, floating like a butterfly when I come over, slap you on the face, trip you, beat you up and spit on you.

That's when you say "Hey! THAT'S MEAN! Why'd you do that to me when I did nothing to offend you?"

2. When you can use "That means"

situation: Someone asks you the meaning of a word and you're trying to explain it.

You say "Oh, that means .... bla bla bla"

In this situation, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT USE No.1: That's mean.
eg: a: What does the word 'mean' mean?
you: Oh, that's mean evil.


The example I just gave is WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

the literal translation when you use the example I just gave is: "Oh, itu jahat jahat"

when you want to say "Oh, itu maksudnya jahat"

So instead of saying that, you should be saying "Oh that means evil"

please take note.

kthxbye.

No comments: