Monday, August 31, 2009

Random Ramadhan Musings

The other day, I was walking through the Bazaar in TTDI with my husband to get stuff for buka. As we walked pass, a lot of the vendors called out the names of miscellaneous food items and accompanied it with the word "panas", i.e: "mee goreng, panas lagi!"

I looked at my watch and the time was 6.00pm, which got me wondering why they were promoting it as such. It didn't make any sense, since buka was like an hour and a half away and the food items can't possibly still be "panas" by the time it comes around, right? And I wonder if other people get fooled by their attempt at marketing, which, to me, really sounds a bit rubbishy.

And then as we were queuing up for some putu piring, I noticed a tiny commotion at the stall next to the one we were at. The stall sold cups of iced sugar cane drinks at RM1.00 each. A chinese man walked up to the stall and asked for a cup, without ice. Promptly, the woman behind the table shook her head and said "taknak ais tak boleh. Semua ada ice je". A mini-argument ensued, and the woman's sister/mom/aunt/whoever joined in and yelled "No! Must have ice!", at which point, the man picks up an empty cup in front of him and gestures towards the jugs of sugar cane juice which were without ice.

The woman looked at the man who was manning the juicing machine, and said "Dia tak nak ais. Camne?"

He looked at the man, who was looking expectantly back at him and said "Cakap kat dia kalau tak nak ais, RM1.50".

The guy agreed to pay and that was that.

Bagus betul la. Bulan puasa pun nak berkira. I mean, logically, if someone who was fasting wanted to buy the drink, why would they buy it IN A CUP with ice in it? Dah tentulah by the time dah buka, the ice would have melted and air tu dah watered down.

And nampak sangat nak menipu kan, kalau ada ais seringgit je and takde ice sampai RM1.50? Ice is actually 50 cents nowadays, huh? And the cup is HALF-filled with ice? Brilliant.

Puasa ke tak ni kak/makcik/pakcik?

I dunnolah. Macam2 orang ada dalam dunia ni, and it disappoints me that during a month when you're supposed to be thankful for what you have and keep yourself from certain temptations, these type of people still exist, and thrive with their seringgit tebus with ice.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Rindu putu piringggg hehe

Lumpy said...

I need anti-stress pills from over boredom , reading this makes my head tick and gives me a GIST, keep it up zurin :) love to read ure stuff!

Zurin said...

Sarah: Come back then, babe! Kita makan sesama. :p

Lamps: :p