Friday, May 15, 2009

Star Trek 2009



I have to admit, I wasn't very excited about this movie. I remember watching Star Trek when I was a child but not the one with Captain Kirk and Spock, the one with Jean-Luc Picard and Data. I remember liking it when I was little, but then growing up and disliking it, simply because I was a girl who found technology boring. Therefore, my spirits weren't that high, and I didn't expect to like it all that much.

I stand corrected.

By the way, spoilers alert. If you haven't watched the movie and intend to go soon, I suggest you stop right here.

Star Trek was quite an awesome movie. Like most remakes, they reset the story, but not the way that most people are doing it now. They did it in such a way that I personally felt gave a nod to the original Star Trek, in the form of an alternate universe that occurred due to time-travel, the after-effects of getting sucked into a black hole.

Meaning, they didn't rewrite the whole thing and declare the old one null and void. They rewrote it, acknowledging that in the original universe, the events of the original Star Trek still happens, only in this storyline, everything changed because of certain events in the future. Geddit?

Okay, so anyway, the acting was alright. I'm not particular because I don't take acting classes and as long as it seems convincing to me, it's fine. Chris Pine did a fine job of playing Captain Kirk and that Syler guy from Heroes also did a good job, I think. I liked the fact that they casted Simon Pegg as Scotty, because I like Simon Pegg. Haha. I have a minor little crush on him and I think he's funny. Oh.. and fans of the original will get a pleasant surprise in a form of a cameo of a certain original character.

As far as the storyline goes, it appealed to me, and the parts where Captain Kirk's dad died to save everyone on the ship was particularly heartbreaking to me, for some reason or other.

But yeah, I wasn't much of a Trekkie, but I loved the movie. I think it did a good job of simultaneously keeping Trekkies' appetites appeased and appealing to the younger generation who don't know much about Star Trek as well as those non-trekkies such as myself.

Overall, awesome movie. :)

By the way, if any Trekkies are reading this, please correct me if I got any info wrong. Tq.

No comments: